The High Throughput (HT) dead-end filtration module for single feed liquid filtration, SPIDER™ is built in stainless steel and it is suitable for both water or solvent based feed solutions. In one single experiment it is possible to carry out either 8 or 16 simultaneous dead-end filtrations (depending on the SPIDER™model), which supposes an extreme gain of time compared to conducting the same experiments one by one with a single cell.
The most important features of the SPIDER™ include:
- Common feed reservoir for the multiple membranes tested in the same run.
- Magnetic stirring ensuring a homogenisation and reducing concentration polarisation and membrane fouling.
- Total feed volume on demand.
- Full safety models available up to 40 bar.
- Optional heating by using a hot stirrer bottom plate.
Some examples of applications include:
- Water desalination.
- Membrane optimization for micro pollutants (e.g. drugs and/or colorants) removal from water.
- Recovery of high added value products (e.g. homogeneous catalysts).
- Membrane molecular weight cut-off characterisation tests using standardized polymers (e.g. PEG, PS) with known molecular weights and radii in different solvents.
- Solvent permeability characterization tests.
- Quality control.
Different solutions are available to better suit the needs of our customers. The most common version is the SPIDER™ with a sample holder with 8 membrane positions of 22 mm Ø for operating pressures up to 40 bar.
MEMBRANE MODULE (SAMPLE HOLDER)
The membranes are placed on the sample holder, which can accommodate either 8 or 16 membranes. Once the chamber is sealed, the feed reservoir is filled with the selected feed solution and the desired pressure is applied. The individual permeates are collected at a function of time in separate bottles for further analysis. The remaining retentate at the end of the experiments can also be collected.
The membrane module is built in stainless steel and can have either 8 or 16 sample positions, of different membrane diameter.
The SPIDER™ is provided with porous metallic support grids for each membrane position and EPDM rubber O-rings to ensure tight sealing. To assure full functionality with feeds of diverse chemical nature, different types of specifically designed rubber O-rings from Kalrez®, Viton® are available. The user can then select the necessary set of resistant rubber material according to the used solvents and the operating pressure.