The POROLUX™ 1000 series comprises research grade gas-liquid porometers for the rapid measurement of through-pores in porous materials based on the pressure step/stability method. The target pressure is achieved by combining an inlet valve for the gas, which generates the initial pressure, and a specially designed needle valve, which subsequently adjusts very precisely the pressure. The pressure and flow sensors will only take a data point when the user-defined stability algorithms are met for both pressure and flow. In this way, the POROLUX™ 1000 detects the opening of a pore at a certain pressure and waits until all pores of the same diameter are completely opened before accepting a data point. This results in very accurate measurement of pore sizes and allows a calculation of the real pore size distribution.
PRESSURE AND FLOW RATES RANGE
Three instrument models are available, one of them optimised for low-pressure applications up to 8 bar (116 psi) and two of them that operate up to 35 bar (500 psi). The maximum flow rate, depending on the model and the application, can be 10, 100 or 200 l/min. For details please see the table of specifications for each model.
|PRODUCT OVERVIEW||POROLUX™ 1000||POROLUX™ 1000LP||POROLUX™ 1000LF|
|Max pressure||35 bar / 500 psi||8 bar / 116 psi||35 bar / 500 psi|
|Min pore (1)||13 nm||80 nm||13 nm|
|Max pore (1)||500 µm||500 µm||500 µm|
|Max flow||200 l/min||100 l/min||10 l/min|
|Pressure sensors||5-50 bar||1-10 bar||5-50 bar|
|Switching of pressure sensors||Automatic||Automatic||Automatic|
|Flow sensors||10-200 l/min||5-100 l/min||0,5-10 l/min|
|Switching of flow sensors||Automatic||Automatic||Automatic|
|Accuracy of pressure and flow sensors||0.05 % F.S.||0.05 % F.S.||0.05 % F.S.|
|Resolution of pressure and flow sensors||24 bit||24 bit||24 bit|
|FBP regulator||5-30 ml/min||5-30 ml/min||5-30 ml/min|
- Gas-liquid displacement porometer based on the pressure step/stability method. It detects the opening of pores at a certain pressure and holds the pressure stable until all pores of the same diameter are open (flow through the sample is also stable) before accepting a data point.
- Very accurate and reproducible measurements of first bubble point, maximum pore size, mean flow pore size, minimum pore size, pore size distribution and gas permeability.
- Ideal for research and development work.
- Determination of the true FBP: measured bubble point
- Liquid permeability and hydrohead measurements are available as an additional option.
Advanced Liquid Permeability Option:
The liquid permeability extension for the POROLUX™ 1000 performs a fully automatic measurement of the flow of liquid through a membrane or filter at a predefined pressure. The liquid is collected in a receptacle and the weight recorded by the balance is automatically transferred to the operating software, which calculates the liquid permeability. This method is easy, user friendly, very accurate and is strongly recommended when a lot of liquid permeability measurements are envisaged.
The advanced liquid permeability extension consists of:
- A hardware extension (LIQ1000BAL): includes the liquid tank, an external sample holder, tubing and connections and a balance.
- A software extension (SWLIQ1000).
- Operating pressure up to 6 bar (a 10 bar vessel is also optionally available)
- Liquid tank capacity: maximum filling level 6 liter
- Maximum test time 3600 sec
- Sample holder: standard 25 mm diameter, maximum 3 mm thickness. Other standard sizes (13 and 47 mm diameter, up to 10 mm sample thickness) and custom-made sample holders available upon request, please contact us.
- Membrane test cell made of stainless steel
- Liquid tank made of stainless steel
- Includes a balance automatically connected to the operating PC. Balance range: 0.05-8.2 kg.
The liquid tank is filled in with the testing media and it is connected to the POROLUX™ 1000 using an extension hose. On the liquid side, an external sample holder is connected to the reservoir and the drain is led into a glass beaker.
The user defines the time that a chosen pressure has to be maintained and during this time the liquid flow through the sample will be determined by measuring the weight of the liquid that went through the sample on a balance. This weight increase will be recorded by the POROLUX™ 1000 software.
The equipment is designed to work with water as test media. The addition of solutes may affect certain properties of water, such as density and dynamic viscosity, which are relevant for the permeability.
STANDARD SAMPLE HOLDERS
All POROLUX™ porometers come with a 25 mm sample holder. Other standard sample holders have a diameter of 13 or 47 mm.
POROMETER can create costumer specific designs for special samples: thick samples, large diameter samples, assembled filter-setups, etc. Please contact us for details and price.
UNIVERSAL SAMPLE HOLDER FOR 25 MM DIAMETER FOR THICKER SAMPLES
- Universal sample holder for samples of thickness up to 10 mm.
- Maximum pressure: 35 bar.
- Also available for 13 mm diameter samples.
HOLLOW FIBRE AND TUBULAR SAMPLE HOLDER (SHHF)
The characterisation of the pore distribution of hollow fibres and tubes requires relatively high pressures and a limiting factor is often the burst pressure of the hollow fibre. Therefore, safety is often as concern.
We have developed a stainless steel sample holder in which one or more hollow fibres can easily be glued. With this sample holder very reproducible results can be obtained.
- The pressure can be applied from the outside to the inside or vice versa
- Maximum pressure: 35 bar*
- Includes replaceable O-rings
- Resistant to silicone and epoxy glues
- Easy cleaning of the assembly
*This is the maximum pressure that the hollow sample holder can withstand. The maximum pressure allowed in each experiment will depend on the mechanical resistance of the hollow fibre.
IN-PLANE POROMETRY SAMPLE HOLDER
Special parts and accessories to carry out in-plane porometry measurements. Only available for 47mm sample holders.